Home Hardware specifications
XO-1: The XO-1 series is the hallmark XO design, with movable ear-like antennas and a swiveling screen. The latest versions is the XO-1.5, with a lower power XO-1.75 model on its way.
XO-3: The XO-3 is a tablet scheduled for production in Q4 of 2012, to complement the XO-1 series.
The XO-1.5 entered mass production in 2009. Key differences from the XO-1 include 1GB of RAM, 4GB of Flash storage (upgradable to 32GB), and an improved touchpad. It has a more responsive keyboard, and two keyboard options (which can be swapped out with just two screws!) – a more robust membrane keyboard and a traditional keyboard. It charges faster and suspends more efficiently, extending the effective battery life.
The XO-1.5 Lite is a variation with 512MB of RAM and 2GB of Flash storage.
- Approximate dimensions: 242mm×228mm×32mm;
- Approximate weight: 1.45KG with LiFeP battery; 1.58KG with NiMH battery;
- Configuration: Convertible laptop with pivoting, reversible display; dirt- and moisture-resistant system enclosure; no fan.
- CPU: 1 GHz Via C7-M ultra-low voltage processor; with VX855 companion chip
- ISA compatibility: Support for the MMX, SSE, SSE2, and SSE3 x86 instruction-set extensions;
- DRAM memory: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM, running at 400MHz;
- Mass storage: 4 GB NAND Flash memory (internal microSD drive, expandable). No rotating media.
- Graphics controller: Integrated w/ Via CPU
- Screen: Rotatable 7.5” Dual-Mode (sunlight-readable) TFT display;
- Viewing area: 152.4mm × 114.3mm (6 in x 4.5 in);
- Resolution: 1200 × 900 (200 DPI);
- Sunlight readable at high resolution; rotates 180 degrees and folds flat for ebook or game mode;
- Low power features:
- Screen power consumption: 0.1 Watt w/out backlight; 0.2–1.0 Watt with backlight;
- Dedicated display-controller (DCON) supports use of display when CPU is suspended.
- Video camera: integrated color vision camera; 640×480 resolution at 30FPS; Omnivision OV7670.
- Keyboard: Water- and dust-proof rubber keyboard, 1.0mm stroke; optional standard plastic keyboard;
- Keyboard versions: International, Thai, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, West African, Urdu, Mongolian, Cyrillic, Amharic;
- Gamepad: Two sets of four-direction cursor-control keys;
- Touchpad: Capacitive touchpad;
- Audio: HD Audio subsystem, internal stereo speakers and monophonic microphone; jacks for headphones and microphone;
- Status indicators: Power, Battery, WiFi, Microphone-in-use, Camera-in-use;
- Magnetic lid sensor: detects closure of laptop and use in eBook mode
- Wireless networking: integrated 802.11 b/g (2.4 GHz) interface, ad-hoc and AP modes, Marvell WLAN module can operate when CPU is supspended.
- Dual adjustable, rotating, and cute coaxial antennas
- DC power: 6mm (1.65mm center pin) connector; 11 to 18 V input usable, –32 to 40 V input tolerated; power draw limited to 15 W;
- Headphone output: Standard 3.5mm 3-pin auiduo jack;
- Microphone input: Standard 3.5mm 2-pin mono mic jack; selectable 2V DC bias; selectable sensor-input mode (DC or AC coupled);
- USB: Three Type-A USB-2.0 connectors; up to 1A power supplied (total);
- Flash drive: MMC/SD Card slot.
Battery and power conversion
- Battery type: 2- or 4-cell LiFePO4, ~6V series configuration, user-removable;
- Battery capacity: 22.8 Watt-hours; 3.5 – 6 hours of normal use;
- 2,000+ charge cycles before capacity reaches 50% of new batteries;
- DC power input: anything from 11V – 25V is accepted; 6 mm power input connector w/ 1.65 mm center pin
- Open Firmware is used to load the operating system.
- Temperature certification to 50C; humidity certification to to IP42 when closed. The unit seals well enough that children walking to and from school need not fear rainshowers and dust. The keyboard and base is highly water resistant, and can survive having water poured over it.
- Maximum altitude: up to 3000m (14.7 to 10.1 PSIA) (operating), 12000m when not operating;
- Shock: 125g, 2ms (operating), double that when not operating; Random vibration: 0.75g zero-to-peak, 10Hz to 500Hz (operating); twice that when not operating;
- 2mm plastic walls (60% thicker than most systems).
Regulatory and safety requirements
- The XO is one of the safest laptops in the world. It has been certified to meet the following regulations and safety requirements: IEC 60950-1, EN 60950-1, CSA/UL 60950-1, UL 1310, UL 498; and ASTM F 963 (safe for use by children);
- The external power adapter and battery comply with IEC, EN, and CSA/UL 60950-1; IE 61000-4-4 and 61000-4-5 (adapter only: transient, burst, and surge immunity); and UL 1642 and 2054 (battery only);
- The laptop meets US and EU EMI/EMC requirements and EU RoHS requirements.
The XO-1.75 moved to the lowest power chip we could find that improved on the 1.5's performance: Marvell's Sheeva ARM chip. This cut our CPU power needs in half, making it easier and cheaper than ever to power XOs from solar cells or alternative power generators.
Major changes and updates from the 1.5 design:
- CPU: Marvell Armada 610 Application Processor with an Marvell Sheeva ARM CPU (800 MHz)
- Embedded controller for system monitoring, battery charging, and solar power input
- ISA Compatibility: ARM v6 and v7, with Thumb and WMMX2* instruction set extensions
- Memory: 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM memory, running at 800MHz
- Mass storage: 4 – 8 GB NAND Flash memory (internal microSD, expandable)
- Significantly lower and less variable power draw while in use; >50% longer battery life (still being tested).