Home Hardware specifications
XO-4 Touch specifications
The XO-4 Touch entered mass production in 2013. Key differences from the original XO-1: the new model comes with 1GB or 2 GB of RAM and up to 8GB of internal solid-state storage standard (larger sizes available upon request). It has a more responsive keyboard and touchpad, and offers the option of membrane or traditional keyboards. And like many tablet computers, the XO-4 Touch uses an ARM processor to significantly reduce power consumption.
Unique to the XO-4 Touch is an easy-to-repair touchscreen that does not compromise the readability of the XO's sunlight-readable display. 5 GHz Wifi, Bluetooth, and HDMI support also have been added, along with an accelerometer which can be queried by programs to interact with the child.
- Approximate dimensions: 242mm×228mm×32mm
- Approximate weight: 1.36KG (~3 lbs) with LiFePO4 battery; 1.58KG (~3.48 lbs) with NiMH battery
- Configuration: Convertible laptop with pivoting, reversible display; dirt- and moisture-resistant system enclosure; no fan.
- CPU: Marvell PXA2128 System on Chip, including
- Dual core ARM PJ4 processors, running at 1 GHz or 1.2 GHz
- 32KiB/32KiB L1 caches, 512 KiB unified L2 cache
- ISA Compatibility: ARM v6 and v7, with Thumb and WMMX2 instruction set extensions (WMMX2 is a a trademark of Intel).
- DRAM memory: 1 GB or 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM
- Mass storage: 4 Gibytes or 8 GiBytes of eMMC NAND Flash memory on motherboard – other storage size options also available. No rotating media.
- Graphics controller: Integrated w/ CPU
- Screen: Rotatable 7.5” Dual-Mode (sunlight-readable) TFT display;
- Viewing area: 152.4mm × 114.3mm (6 in x 4.5 in);
- Resolution: 1200 × 900 (200 DPI)
- Sunlight readable at high resolution; rotates 180 degrees and folds flat for ebook or game mode
- Low power features:
- Screen power consumption: 0.1 Watt without backlight; 0.2–1.0 Watt with backlight;
- Dedicated display-controller (DCON) supports use of display when CPU is suspended.
Touch Screen (only on XO-4 Touch and XO-4 HS Touch models):
- 7.5in (19 cm) Infrared touchscreen, using zForce technology, developed in collaboration with Neonode.
- Supports multiple touch points.
- Can be used with finger, stylus or pencils, without exerting pressure.
- Does not interfere with the sunlight readable display.
- Resilient and easily repairable.
- Units without touch support available upon request (not recommended).
- Video camera: integrated color vision camera; 640×480 resolution.
- Keyboard: Water- and dust-proof rubber keyboard, 1.0mm stroke; optional standard plastic keyboard.
- Keyboard versions: US International, Spanish, AZERTY/French, Arabic, Thai, Portuguese, West African, Urdu, Mongolian, Cyrillic, Amharic
- Gamepad: Two sets of four-direction cursor-control keys
- Touchpad: Capacitive touchpad
- Audio: Internal stereo speakers and monophonic microphone; jacks for headphones and microphone
- Status indicators: Power, Battery, WiFi, Microphone-in-use, Camera-in-use, Storage-in-use
- Magnetic lid sensor: detects closure of laptop and use in eBook mode
- Three-axis Accelerometer provides information about laptop movement
- Wireless networking: Integrated IEEE 802.11/b/g (2.4 GHz) wireless networking interface. Optional IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) integrated wireless networking interface.
- Ad-hoc and AP mode networking supported.
- Capable of network operation when CPU is suspended.
- Dual adjustable, rotating coaxial antennas.
- Bluetooth support (with optional IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n only).
- DC power: 6mm (1.65mm center pin) connector; 11 to 25 V input usable, –32 to 40 V input tolerated; power draw limited to 25 W
- Maximum Power Point Tracking alters voltage/current for maximum battery-charging power from solar panels
- Headphone output: Standard 3.5mm 3-pin audio jack;
- Microphone input: Standard 3.5mm 3-pin audio mic jack; selectable 2V DC bias; selectable sensor-input mode (DC or AC coupled)
- USB: Two Type-A USB-2.0 connectors; up to 1A power supplied (total; through a single connector)
- HDMI: A micro-HDMI connector is provided, supporting video output
- Flash drive: MMC/SD Card slot.
Battery and power conversion
- Battery type: 2- cell LiFePO4 or 5-cell NiMH, ~6V series configuration, user-removable
- Battery capacity: 2800 mAh (LiFePO4) or 3000 mAh (NiMH)
- 2,000+ charge cycles before capacity reaches 50% of new batteries
- DC power input: anything from 11V to 25V is accepted; 6 mm power input connector w/ 1.65 mm center pin
- Open Firmware is used to load the operating system.
- Temperature certification to 50C; humidity certification to to IP42 when closed. The unit seals well enough that children walking to and from school need not fear rainshowers and dust. The keyboard and base is highly water resistant, and can survive having water poured over it.
- Maximum altitude: up to 3000m (14.7 to 10.1 PSIA) (operating), 12000m when not operating;
- Shock: 125g, 2ms (operating), double that when not operating; Random vibration: 0.75g zero-to-peak, 10Hz to 500Hz (operating); twice that when not operating;
- 2mm plastic walls (60% thicker than most systems).
Regulatory and safety requirements
- The XO is one of the safest laptops in the world. It has been certified to meet the following regulations and safety requirements: IEC 60950-1, EN 60950-1, CSA/UL 60950-1, UL 1310, UL 498; and ASTM F 963 (safe for use by children);
- The external power adapter and battery comply with IEC, EN, and CSA/UL 60950-1; IE 61000-4-4 and 61000-4-5 (adapter only: transient, burst, and surge immunity); and UL 1642 and 2054 (battery only);
- The laptop meets US and EU EMI/EMC requirements and EU RoHS requirements.
The XO-1.75 moved to the lowest power chip we could find that improved on the 1.5's performance: Marvell's Sheeva ARM chip. This cut our CPU power needs in half, making it easier and cheaper than ever to power XOs from solar cells or alternative power generators.
The XO-1.75 is still available for purchase as of July 2013; however the newest and best available model is the XO-4.
Major changes and updates in the XO-1.75 from the 1.5 design:
- CPU: Marvell Armada 610 Application Processor with an Marvell Sheeva ARM CPU (800 MHz or 1 GHz options available)
- Embedded controller for system monitoring, battery charging, and solar power input
- ISA Compatibility: ARM v6 and v7, with Thumb and WMMX2 instruction set extensions (WMMX2 is a a trademark of Intel)
- Memory: 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM memory
- Mass storage: 4 or 8 GB NAND Flash memory standard (internal eMMC, other sizes upon request)
- Significantly lower and less variable power draw while in use; >50% longer battery life (still being tested).